Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ruffle Scarf Journey

Hello! Hope it's nice and sunny for you! The rain doesn't seem to be letting up here... I've lots of screen printing orders to complete and waiting for a break in the rain! Otherwise it's been perfect weather for sewing, so it's all about finishing Ruffle Scarves for Saturday's Olive Tree Market. Here's a little photo journey of our Ruffle Scarf processes... the flower mashing(for our botanical ruffles) is still my favourite part...


garden snippets

 before mashing flower scattering onto fabric

 squished flowers - like a mini piece of art!

 the wonderful results of floral imprints

 setting out ruffle colour combos... loving the soft mint colour at the moment

 Finished Ruffle Scarves!

 This is my favourite from the group!

If you've see one that takes your fancy send us a email at elkhornshop@gmail.com
These will probably just be exclusive for the markets! I do hope to get some on our online store soon!!! x

6 comments:

  1. Scarves are looking beautiful, love seeing your mashing process.
    This rain is starting to get me down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah! I know, I've been feeling the same about this rain! It doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon... I feel most creative when the suns out and was keen to start some new designs.
      Hope you've had lots of interest in Sean the prawn cushions from Breeze Magazine.. .they really did look wonderful in that space!

      Delete
  2. Hi Elkhorn,

    Can I just say that the floral print looks amazing! I've a metre of this lovely cotton that I don't know what to do with, and some bright flowers in our garden. Could I please get instructions on how you mash the flowers so the colour stays in the fabric? (like.. do you actually mash with a hammer?!)

    Thanks heaps, and once again, it's lookin' awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Gandhali,

    Thanks for your lovely words. It's tricky to describe the process here. The abridged version: I pre soak the fabric for a day or two in a natural mordant(setting agent -using lemon juice & vinegar). Once the fabric is dry I use a rubber mallet to mash the flowers inbetween the folded fabric. I found the process from India Flint's book 'Eco Colour' which is worth getting your hands on if you enjoy botanical dying!
    Hope that helps! Love to see how it turns out... it's always a great surprise.
    monique x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I can't wait to try it out! I'll definitely check out "Eco Colour", thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...